Thursday, February 18, 2010

Stuttering: A Genetic Mutation?


Stuttering is a speech disorder that involves involuntary hesitation, repetition ("ca-ca-ca-can"), or prolongations ("llllllike") while
speaking
As someone who has had a mild speech problem for most of his life, I have always wondered as to the cause of my affliction.  Is it something genetic?  Is it behavioral?  Is it my personality? I have grappled for many years, taking speech therapy from time to time, learning new tricks to help myself, and coming up with shortcuts and "cheats" to get through life.

Amazingly enough, it turns out that one of the causes of stuttering or speech impediments may be the brain itself. In this recent article on CNN.com, it turns out that the New England Journal of Medicine revealed that "three genetic mutations in the brain cells of people who stutter. The cells are located in the part of the brain that controls speech, which suggests that genes could play a big role in the disorder."

On one hand, I am fascinated by this finding, and where it obviously is leading to - a possible cure to speech problems?  A way to alter the genetic structure and fix this afflication once and for all?  The research is far away at this time, but the thought is an exciting one.

On the other hand...it's a bit saddening to me.  All of the years of therapy as a child and therapy I am starting again, just to get more of a handle on it...is it something that I just can't fix on my own?  I used to think it was psychological...which was found to not be true.   Yet I've always felt I could beat it and control it someday through behavioral changes and practice.  But maybe that day is too far away for me, and not something I can do alone.

Link to CNN.com article

Image courtesy of CNN.com

No comments:

Post a Comment